Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cleaning the Past

So it might be the historian in me but I loved digging through my grandmothers files today. Not in a stalk-ish sketch way, but she passed away a few weeks ago and today started the process of cleaning up her possessions in her house.

Just my mumma, dad and I were there today I had the task of starting on her filing cabinet. I think I looked through thousands of receipts from 1980, but it was really interesting to see the elderly keep as important information. But what the real find was, was letters from the 1940s between my grandmother and her boss about her leaving the telephone company for another one around 1943. This is history, and it's my family history. I wish I could keep everything we have been finding but unfortunately we don't have any room for it all.

I'm getting the bookcases, which will be nice since I think I have an addiciton. The first step is always addmitting the problem so here it goes: My name is Nathan Ryalls and I am a book-a-holic. There that's doen now. So hopefully one day they will be filled with all my books in my Hampden-Sydney themed office!


well I'm writing to procrastinate my Roman History homework so I guess I should go ahead and start that.

1 comment:

Chris Osgood said...

Interesting. I am actually reading this because I (like you) am trying not to do homework.