Friday, March 13, 2009

Habitat for Humanity


So this Spring Break, instead of lazying around the house, spending time doing absolutely nothing I hammered more nails than I can count, I've installed five windows, shoveled more pounds of dirt than I would care to mention, and help build a house for a single mother and her daughter. It was a rewarding experience to work alongside the homeowner, Ashley and to meet her daughter Deja. The joy on their faces as their house was being build before their eyes is the reason I joined Habitat for Humanity. This great foundation helps house millions and to give them affordable and decent places to live their lives.

Five Hampden-Sydney students, myself included, ventured down to Pickens County in South Carolina staying on Lake Keowe and helped to build a house in Easley 30 minutes down the road. This idea of building a hosue is something I would have never done in high school aka hard labor. That was never in my forethought. But now I have been hanging off ladders stretching into weird contortions just to hammer a nail into the wall. This was all new to me. Over a year of working with Habitat and I finally get to actually work on the hosue. I've painted a closet, cleared land, laid the floor bases, and helped to open a ReStore, but now I feel like an accomplished Habitater.

1 comment:

Mrs. Gibbs said...

Nate I'm really proud of you for all your hard labor!!! I think it's so cool that you did this! It reminds me of my experience with Catholic Heartwork camp and the trip I took with Radford CCM.